Thursday, January 3, 2013

Beach Glass and Clematis

Once in awhile, you are stopped by something that is simply beautiful to you.  In this case, I happen to have a tall and thin glass container in a windowsill at the cottage, that my husband and I - and guests - have filled over time with beach glass treasures found during our beach walks.

This year, in the summer, every time I looked towards the window, I would see the beach glass and, beyond, a wonderful clematis in full bloom.  It would stop me in my tracks and somehow my mind's eye would stop stare, end up at the hard line between the jar and the flowers, leaving me in some sort of quiet meditation.  And I would forget what I had been doing for some moments.  When this happened several times, I remembred me that "they" say that we should paint our emotions.  It occurred to me that it could just as easily mean something of this nature - something that simply stops me, quiets me.  So I simply decided to paint what I saw.   An unusual composition, I admit.  But beauty is in the eye of the beholder ...

Beach Glass and Clematis
22" x 28" - Arches 300 lb